Magnification (macropsia ) is defined as the experience of distant details within one's visual field appearing closer and more "zoomed in" than they actually are due to both visual enhancements and hallucinatory effects. This can give the perception that one is seeing objects from greater distances than is usually possible within everyday life.
At its lower levels, this can allow people to see nearby objects (such as within reaching distance) as much closer than they really are, resulting in the perception that their visual capabilities have been enhanced. At its higher levels, this can induce the perception of seeing distant objects as if they were right in front of the user despite their distance. These distances can range from several feet to hundreds of meters. Since this is most likely a physiological impossibility, it suggests that higher level magnification may actually be a seamless hallucinatory state in which the details of distant visual input are predictively simulated in a realistic and convincing manner.
It's worth noting that this effect is considerably more likely to occur if a person spends extended periods of time staring at an object or scene within the distance.
Magnification is often accompanied by other coinciding effects such as acuity enhancement and pattern recognition enhancement. It is a rare effect that is most commonly induced under the influence of moderate dosages of psychedelic compounds, such as LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
Annectdotal reports which describe this effect with our experience index include:
- Experience: 1.5g Psilocybe Cubensis - Analysis of body and mind
- Experience:1000 Morning Glory seeds - Rediscovering the Self
- Experience:100ug 1P-LSD - A Fear and loathing into Bliss
- Experience:30mg (smoked) DMT - The Monolith
- Experience:337mg DMT fumarate - A Day With DMT
- Experience:5g Mushrooms - Failed attempt at a Terence Mckenna style trip.
- Experience:DXM & DPH in combination
- Experience:LSA (20 HWBR seeds) – A pleasant adventure with a harsh body load
- Macropsia (medical dictionary) | https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/macropsia
- Fischer, Roland; Hill, Richard; Thatcher, Karen; Scheib, James (1970). "Psilocybin-induced contraction of nearby visual space". Agents and Actions. 1 (4): 190–197. doi:10.1007/BF01965761. ISSN 0065-4299.