|Summary sheet: 3-Me-PCPy|
|Common names||3-Me-PCPy, M3ppy|
|Routes of Administration|
3-Methylrolicyclidine (also known as 3-Me-PCPy) is a lesser-known novel dissociative substance of the arylcyclohexylamine class. 3-Me-PCP is a derivative of phencyclidine (PCP) and is chemically related to substances like 3-Me-PCP. It produces its effects by blocking NMDA receptors in the brain.
3-Me-PCPy induces a state referred to as "dissociative anesthesia", although the extent to which this occurs is reported to be highly dose-dependent and variable in its effects. It is commonly taken orally and nasally. In addition to its dissociative effects, 3-Me-PCPy acts as a triple reuptake inhibitor which further adds to its unique profile and stimulating effects.
Very little data exists for the pharmacology, metabolism, and toxicity of 3-Me-PCPy. Due to its potent hallucinogenic effects and lack of research, it is strongly advised to use use harm reduction practices if using this substance. In 2021, it began to be discussed on online forums such as bluelight.ru & reddit.com and was soon made available for sale on the research chemicals market.
3-Methylrolicyclidine, or 3-Me-PCPy, is a synthetic dissociative of the arylcyclohexylamine class. 3-Me-PCPy contains cyclohexane, a six-member saturated ring, bonded to two additional rings at R1. One of these rings is a pyrrolidine ring, a nitrogenous five member ring, bonded at its nitrogen group. The other ring is an aromatic phenyl ring, substituted at R3 with a methyl group.
3-Me-PCPy acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist. A specific subtype of glutamate receptor, NMDA (N-Methyl-D-Aspartate), modulates the transmission of electrical signals between neurons in the brain and spinal cord; for the signals to pass, the receptor must be open.
Dissociatives inhibit the normal functioning NMDA receptors by binding to and blocking them. This disruption of neural network activity leads to loss of normal cognitive and affective processing, psychomotor functioning, anesthesia and eventually the equivalent of a "k-hole".
3-Me-PCPy is commonly described as being more stimulating and less immobilizing than other dissociatives such as ketamine or MXE. At lower doses, it can induce sensory enhancements such as color enhancement, acuity enhancement, tactile enhancement, auditory enhancement and bodily control enhancement. However, at medium to high doses, it presents sensory suppressions such as tactile suppression, motor control loss, auditory suppression and acuity suppression. Based on a large amount of experience reports, it appears to be considerably more likely to induce mania, delusions, and psychosis than other dissociatives (possibly due to its unusually high potency, compulsivity and erratic dose response).
Some users described two stages of effects. Stage 1 has a strong euphoric rush while stage 2 has dissociative effects, similar to mid dose Ketamine.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), an open research literature based on anecdotal user reports and the personal analyses of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be viewed with a healthy degree of skepticism.
It is also worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become increasingly likely with higher doses and may include addiction, severe injury, or death ☠.
- Stimulation - 3-Me-PCPy is regarded to be noticeably stimulating in comparison to other dissociatives such as ketamine, MXE, or DCK. The stimulation it presents is described as clear and subtle.
- Spontaneous bodily sensations - The body high of 3-Me-PCPy can be described in terms of its style variations as a motionless, constant, sharp, all-encompassing, and euphoric activation of nerve endings across the body.
- Physical euphoria - 3-Me-PCPy has been reported to more readily induce euphoria than most other dissociatives, such as ketamine or diphenidine, especially of the manic variant. It has strong euphoric rush, some users say it's even better than the first time MDMA.
- Tactile enhancement or Tactile suppression - At lower dosages, this compound tends to induce tactile enhancements. At higher dosages, this enhancement shifts towards tactile suppressions and anesthesia.
- Pain relief - This substance produces distinct nerve-signal blocking anesthetic effects typically required in surgical settings, but only in the stronger to heavier dose ranges.
- Bodily control enhancement or Motor control loss - At lower dosages this compound typically induces enhancements in bodily control. At higher dosages, this enhancement shifts towards motor control loss.
- Spatial disorientation - In contrast to other dissociatives like ketamine, this effect is only prominent at high doses.
- Appetite suppression or Appetite enhancement - The appetite suppression present with 3-Me-PCPy can be considered to be less sharp than with traditional stimulants such as Cocaine or MDMA. For some users at low doses, it is also possible to experience a contradictory appetite enhancement effect as a result of 3-Me-PCPy's ability to suppress nausea.
- Nausea suppression
- Restless legs
- Respiratory depression - This effect can be present at heavier dosage levels.
- Physical autonomy
- Olfactory hallucination
- Optical sliding
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Increased blood pressure - This effect is typically present at the higher doses.
- Increased heart rate - This effect has been reported as being more pronounced than other dissociatives, such as DCK or diphenidine.
- Increased perspiration
- Difficulty urinating
- Seizure - The extent to which this effect can be produced is unknown but can likely happen in those predisposed to them, especially while in physically taxing conditions such as being dehydrated, fatigued or undernourished.
- Visual acuity enhancement or Visual acuity suppression - While lower doses of this compound tend to produce mild visual acuity enhancements, this effect quickly disappears as one's general visual faculties become suppressed as the dose is increased.
- Double vision
- Frame rate suppression
- Pattern recognition suppression
- Anxiety suppression
- Cognitive euphoria
- Compulsive redosing - This effect is more prominent based on the route of administration used. For example, it is especially present when smoked or vaporized, due to the relative abruptness of the substance entering and leaving the bloodstream.
- Conceptual thinking
- Creativity enhancement
- Déjà vu
- Mania - This effect is reportedly more common on 3-Me-PCPy than most other dissociatives. It typically occurs during the offset of the experience, but can also occur during the onset and come up as well.
- Depersonalization & Derealization
- Psychosis - This effect has been reported to be more common on 3-Me-PCPy than most other dissociatives, such as MXE or ketamine. It typically occurs during the offset of the experience, but can also occur during the onset and come up as well.
- Delusion - Like psychosis, this effect is reportedly more common on 3-Me-PCPy than most other dissociatives.
- Dream potentiation
- Memory suppression
- Immersion enhancement
- Increased music appreciation
- Time distortion
- Thought deceleration
- Increased libido - This is reported to be present at lower dosage ranges.
Anecdotal reports which describe the effects of this compound within our experience index include:
Toxicity and harm potential
The toxicity and long-term health effects of recreational 3-Me-PCPy use has not been studied in any scientific context and the exact toxic dosage is unknown. This is because 3-Me-PCPy has very short history of human usage.
Dependence and abuse potential
3-Me-PCPy produces dependence with chronic use and has a high potential for abuse. In comparison to other dissociatives, 3-Me-PCPy has been reported to be more likely to produce psychological dependence than other dissociatives. When dependence has developed, cravings and withdrawal effects may occur if one suddenly stops their usage.
Tolerance to many of the effects of 3-Me-PCPy develops with prolonged and repeated use. This results in users having to administer increasingly large doses to achieve the same effects. After that, it takes about 3 - 7 days for the tolerance to be reduced to half and 1 - 2 weeks to be back at baseline (in the absence of further consumption). 3-Me-PCPy presents cross-tolerance with all dissociatives, meaning that after the consumption of 3-Me-PCPy, all dissociatives will have a reduced effect.
- Users should avoid taking 3-Me-PCPy for multiple days in a row or becoming dependent on it as this seems to be the main risk factor in the observed incidences of severe adverse effects.
- The recommended dosage range should not be exceeded as high doses can trigger these effects as well.
- Users should start with extremely low doses and work their way up as slowly as possible. Volumetric liquid dosing should preferably be used due to the drug's potency; most standard milligram scales cannot accurately weigh out doses below 10-15mg.
- Compulsive redosing before one has fully sobered up is not recommended and can result in too high of a dose.
Due to the risk of psychosis, it is not recommended to combine this substance with other substances, especially stimulants, psychedelics, or other dissociatives like MXE. Independent research should always be done to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe before consumption.
It is strongly advised to use harm reduction practices when using this substance.
Urinary tract effects
In terms of its long-term health effects when used repeatedly and excessively for extended periods of time, 3-Me-PCP seems to exhibit almost identical bladder and urinary tract problems to those found within ketamine, but to a lesser extent. This is possibly because 3-Me-PCPy is far more potent than ketamine so significantly less of drug needs to be consumed. Symptoms of ketamine-induced cystitis can become extremely serious and can be described as:
- Urinary frequency - Urinary frequency is the need to empty the bladder every few minutes.
- Urinary urgency - This can be described as a sudden, compelling need to urinate.
- Urinary pressure - This is experienced as a constant sensation of fullness in the bladder that is unrelieved by urination.
- Pelvic and bladder pain - Pain can develop suddenly and severely, particularly as the bladder fills with urine.
- Hematuria - Hematuria is visible blood in the urine.
- Incontinence - This is the leakage of urine.
These effects can be mitigated by refraining from using 3-Me-PCPy regularly (on a daily or weekly basis) and manually limiting one's usage of the substance.
Warning: Many psychoactive substances that are reasonably safe to use on their own can suddenly become dangerous and even life-threatening when combined with certain other substances. The following list provides some known dangerous interactions (although it is not guaranteed to include all of them).
Always conduct independent research (e.g. Google, DuckDuckGo, PubMed) to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe to consume. Some of the listed interactions have been sourced from TripSit.
- Stimulants - Both stimulants and dissociatives carry the risk of adverse psychological reactions like anxiety, mania, delusions and psychosis and these risks are exacerbated when the two substances are combined.
- Depressants - Because both depress the respiratory system, this combination can result in an increased risk of suddenly falling unconscious, vomiting and choking to death from the resulting suffocation. If nausea or vomiting occurs, users should attempt to fall asleep in the recovery position or have a friend move them into it.
- Germany: 3-Me-PCPy is controlled under the NpSG (New Psychoactive Substances Act) as of July 18, 2019. Production and import with the aim to place it on the market, administration to another person and trading is punishable. Possession is illegal but not penalized.
- Turkey: 3-Me-PCPy is a classed as drug and is illegal to possess, produce, supply, or import.
- United States: 3-Me-PCPy is not a controlled substance in the United States but possession or distribution of 3-Me-PCPy for human use could potentially be prosecuted under the Federal Analogue Act due to its structural and pharmacological similarities to PCP.
Discussion and Media
- 3-Me-PCPy Psychosis (PsychonautWiki) | https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/3-Me-PCPy#Toxicity_and_harm_potential
- "Anlage NpSG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz [Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection]. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- "Verordnung zur Änderung der Anlage des Neue-psychoaktive-Stoffe-Gesetzes und von Anlagen des Betäubungsmittelgesetzes" (PDF). Bundesgesetzblatt Jahrgang 2019 Teil I Nr. 27 (in German). Bundesanzeiger Verlag. July 17, 2019. pp. 1083–1094. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- "§ 4 NpSG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz [Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection]. Retrieved December 10, 2019.