|Summary sheet: Βk-2C-B|
|Common names||βk-2C-B, beta-keto 2C-B, bk-2C-B|
|Routes of Administration|
Subjective effects include open and closed-eye visuals, time distortion, euphoria, and ego loss. Compared to 2C-B, its effects are often described as being considerably more stimulating and less psychedelic with a significantly longer duration.
Very little data exists about the pharmacological properties, metabolism, and toxicity of Bk-2C-B. As a result, users are advised to approach this novel and poorly understood hallucinogenic substance with the proper amount of precaution and harm reduction practices if choosing to use it.
History and culture
βk-2C-B, or beta-keto 2C-B, is a substituted phenethylamine featuring a phenyl ring bound to an amino (NH2) group through an ethyl chain. βk-2C-B contains the structure of 2C-B substituted with a ketone group at the beta carbon of the structure (R1). βk-2C-B contains methoxy functional groups CH3O- attached to carbons R2 and R5 as well as a bromine atom attached to carbon R4 of the phenyl ring. βk-2C-B belongs to the 2C family of phenethylamines which contain methoxy groups on the 2 and 5 positions of the benzene ring.
Bk-2C-B likely acts as a 5-HT2A partial agonist. The psychedelic effects are believed to come from its efficacy at the 5-HT2A receptors. However, the role of these interactions and how they result in the psychedelic experience continues to remain elusive.
|This subjective effects section is a stub.|
As such, it is still in progress and may contain incomplete or wrong information.
You can help by expanding or correcting it.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), a literature which relies on collected anecdotal reports and the personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be taken with a healthy amount of skepticism. It is worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a consistent or reliable manner, although higher doses (common+) are more likely to induce the full spectrum of reported effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely with higher doses and may include serious injury or death.
- Drifting (melting, breathing, morphing and flowing)
- Colour shifting
- Depth perception distortions
- Perspective distortions
- Symmetrical texture repetition
- After images
- Brightness alteration
Anecdotal reports which describe the effects of this compound within our experience index include:
- Experience:120mg - Garden of The Gods
- Experience:BK-2C-B - Various experiences
- Experience:~200mg BK-2C-B - Untitled
Additional experience reports can be found here:
Toxicity and harm potential
The toxicity and long-term health effects of recreational Bk-2C-B use do not seem to have been studied in any scientific context and the exact toxic dose is unknown. This is because Bk-2C-B is a research chemical with very little history of human usage. Anecdotal evidence from people within the psychonaut community who have tried Bk-2C-B suggests that there are no negative health effects attributed to simply trying the substance by itself at low to moderate doses and using it very sparingly (but nothing can be completely guaranteed). Independent research should always be done to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe before consumption.
It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this substance.
Tolerance and addiction potential
As with psychedelics in general, Bk-2C-B is not habit-forming and the desire to use it can actually decrease with use. It is most often self-regulating.
Tolerance to the effects of Bk-2C-B are built almost immediately after ingestion. After that, it takes about 3 days for the tolerance to be reduced to half and 7 days to be back at baseline (in the absence of further consumption). Bk-2C-B presents cross-tolerance with all psychedelics, meaning that after the consumption of Bk-2C-B all psychedelics will have a reduced effect.
This legality section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or wrong information. You can help by expanding it.
- Germany: Bk-2C-B is controlled under the NpSG (New Psychoactive Substances Act) as of November 26, 2016. Production and import with the aim to place it on the market, administration to another person and trading is punishable. Possession is illegal but not penalized.
- Switzerland: Bk-2C-B is a controlled substance specifically named under Verzeichnis E.
- United Kingdom: It is illegal to produce, supply, or import this drug under the Psychoactive Substance Act, which came into effect on May 26th, 2016.
- United States: Bk-2C-B is unscheduled in the U.S., but may be considered an analogue of 2C-B under the Federal Analogue Act and thus a Schedule I drug.
- Test purchase, identification and synthesis of 2-amino-1-(4-bromo-2, 5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethan-1-one (bk-2C-B) | http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/dta.1699/abstract
- Characterization of the designer drug βk-2C-B (2-amino-1-(bromo-dimethoxyphenyl)ethan-1-one) by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry without and with derivatization with 2,2,2-trichloroethyl chloroformate, liquid chromatography/high-resolution mass spectrometry, and nuclear magnetic resonance (PubMed.gov / NCBI) | https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26395784
- #20 2C-B: 4-Bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine (PiHKAL) | http://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/read.php?id=20
- "Gesetz zur Bekämpfung der Verbreitung neuer psychoaktiver Stoffe" (PDF) (in German). Bundesanzeiger Verlag. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "Anlage NpSG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "§ 4 NpSG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "Verordnung des EDI über die Verzeichnisse der Betäubungsmittel, psychotropen Stoffe, Vorläuferstoffe und Hilfschemikalien" (in German). Bundeskanzlei [Federal Chancellery of Switzerland]. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 (Legislation.gov.uk) | http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/2/contents/enacted