Thought acceleration (also known as racing thoughts) is defined as the experience of thought processes being sped up significantly in comparison to that of everyday sobriety. When experiencing this effect, it will often feel as if one rapid-fire thought after the other is being generated in incredibly quick succession. Thoughts while undergoing this effect are not necessarily qualitatively different, but greater in their volume and speed. However, they are commonly associated with a change in mood that can be either positive or negative.
Thought acceleration is often accompanied by other coinciding effects such as stimulation, anxiety, and analysis enhancement in a manner which not only increases the speed of thought, but also significantly enhances the sharpness of a person's mental clarity. It is most commonly induced under the influence of moderate dosages of stimulant and nootropic compounds, such as amphetamine, methylphenidate, modafinil, and MDMA. However, it can also occur under the influence of certain stimulating psychedelics such as LSD, 2C-E, DOC, AMT.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
Anecdotal reports which describe this effect within our experience index include:
- Experience: 22mg 2C-B (oral) / 100ug 1P-LSD (sublingual) - My first time tripping alone (2 days in a row)
- Experience: 25mg 2C-E (oral) - A mindblowing experience
- Experience: 36mg 4-AcO-DiPT - Truly, one for the psychedelic animals among us
- Experience:1000 Morning Glory seeds - Rediscovering the Self
- Experience:170mg 4-AcO-DMT - Recklessness rewarded
- Experience:3.5g psilocybe cubensis - Relinquishing of Material Chains/Fear and Desolation
- Experience:300µg LSD - Togetherness and the Silent Dusk
- Experience:30mg Isopropylphenidate - IPPH As A Study Aid
- Experience:337mg DMT fumarate - A Day With DMT
- Experience:37mg Isopropylphenidate - Getting Shit Done With Isopropylphenidate
- Experience:3g - I found god inside of myself
- Experience:3g Syrian Rue + 5g Acacia Confusa - Life Changing Madness
- Experience:3g mimosa / 3g syrian rue - Connecting with my body
- Experience:4F-EPH (15mg) - Untitled
- Experience:5.3g psilocybe cubensis - Dimensional Circumstance and the Fabric of Understanding
- Experience:5g Mushrooms - Failed attempt at a Terence Mckenna style trip.
- Experience:75mg 3-FMA - Perfect Blend of Euphoria and Functionality
- Experience:800 seeds LSA - My First Trip Ever
- Experience:BK-2C-B - Various experiences
- Piguet, Camille; Dayer, Alexandre; Kosel, Markus; Desseilles, Martin; Vuilleumier, Patrik; Bertschy, Gilles (2010). "Phenomenology of racing and crowded thoughts in mood disorders: A theoretical reappraisal". Journal of Affective Disorders. 121 (3): 189–198. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2009.05.006. ISSN 0165-0327.
- Pronin, Emily; Jacobs, Elana; Wegner, Daniel M. (2008). "Psychological effects of thought acceleration". Emotion. 8 (5): 597–612. doi:10.1037/a0013268. ISSN 1931-1516.
- Yang, Kaite; Friedman-Wheeler, Dara G.; Pronin, Emily (2014). "Thought Acceleration Boosts Positive Mood Among Individuals with Minimal to Moderate Depressive Symptoms". Cognitive Therapy and Research. 38 (3): 261–269. doi:10.1007/s10608-014-9597-9. ISSN 0147-5916.
- Pronin, Emily; Jacobs, Elana (2008). "Thought Speed, Mood, and the Experience of Mental Motion". Perspectives on Psychological Science. 3 (6): 461–485. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6924.2008.00091.x. ISSN 1745-6916.